barefoot

patti gene@dreamsoft.com
I condition my mare barefoot, she is ridden very regular and on rides no
shorter than three hours.I have had her shod twice because I did not know
what the terrain was like where we were going. Both times she would have
been fine barefoot. If the terrain is different that where we usually ride
I consider shoes or I consider not going. If the ground is very rocky I
go very slow and give her time to find her footing, I do not push her to
run through rocks with or without shoes. She has never been sore, her legs
have never swelled, never even had thrush. My farrier always tells me what
great feet she has and her trims them for barefoot riding.  there was some
posts on barefoot riding and they offered web sites to check out, they
were pretty good. Horses feet should be trimmed for the type of terrain
they usually go on. There are different ways to do it. I will probably
think about shoeing her if we compete in an area that has alot of shale or
rocks but most of the NATRC rides are pretty well taken care of and the
area is well chosen so I may not have to worry about it. My mare has been
in more dangerous postitions because of shoes slipping on BIG rocks, very
hard packed dirt and crossing roads. When she is shod and her feet grow
out little and they look good because of the shoes, she just seems less
sure footed. I like her feet to be wide and cover the ground, she is a
mountain goat and can go anywhere without loosing her footing. It wouldn't
hurt to do some more studies on competing barefoot horses, I certainly
would be interested. If anyone has more info on it please post it.