Re: Does Rice Bran go rancid?

> We were trying to fatten up a horse last year and fed it rice bran.  Sold
> horse, have 1/2 bag left.  Can we feed it to our remaining horses this
> winter, or does it go bad?  Any experience on this?
>
> Amber

If it was unstabilized rice bran, it was rancid before you ever opened the
bag in the first place, so use it for compost.  If it was one of the
stabilized brands (ie Equi-Jewel, Natural Glo, etc) then as long as it was
kept in something less than 110 degrees all summer long, I'd call its shelf
life at right around a year---you've lost some nutrients, but it won't kill
anyone.

Susan G