Re: RC: Re: Ride diet for hypoglycemia

In a message dated 01-09-21 21:11:07 EDT, bolinger@bigsky.net writes:

<< Ever since then I have a really hard time
 with the heat. My heat tolerance is critically low and I can't seem to fix
 it...any suggestions?????? Can heat exhaustion cause permanent damage? >>

I've heard that once one has a serious heat-realted illness, you are more
sensitive to the heat and have to be careful.  This certainly seems to be the
case with my husband.  Last summer (July 17, 2000) he was doing a controlled
burn in E. Texas.  Temp was 102, and humidity was fairly high.  He knows to
drink a lot and keep up with electrolyte (Gatorade) intake, as he sweats like
no one I've ever seen.  They ran out of gatorade at noon.  Ross (hubby)
started vomiting at around 2 pm and passed out around 3 pm (he knew he was in
trouble and they were trying to shut the burn down).  His crew got an
ambulance out there, and he was life-flighted down to Beaumont with IVs in
both arms, packed in ice packs, and a body temp of 107 degrees.  They gave
him a bunch of potassium via IV at the hospital, which helped him a lot.  He
regained consciousness around 9 pm, spent the night in ICU, and came home the
next evening.  The life-flight crew came by to check on him that morning to
see if he made it - they weren't sure he would.  He tired very easily for
about 3-4 weeks.  He gradually worked back into doing things in the heat, but
even now, over a year later, he has to be careful.  He's a jogger, and
several times this summer he came home from running in the evening and was
nauseous - never had that problem until his incident last year.  It was
pretty scary.

Dawn in Texas