Diabetics vs. Hypoglycemics

Hi Maggie,
We have two different groups here, both talking about blood sugar,
but from opposite sides of the coin.  Hypoglycemics either over-
produce insulin or are especially responsive to insulin.  Diabetics
either produce too little insulin and/or do not respond to the insulin
they produce.  While some studies have shown chromium to improve insulin
sensitivity in diabetics, I would be very careful about doing any such
thing in a person already overly sensitive to insulin's effects.  Exercise
and weight loss are ABSOLUTELY the first steps to take in a non-insulin
dependent diabetic, because both improve sensitivity to insulin.  Of
course, in a hypoglycemic adding exercise can exacerbate their problem.
Not to say they shouldn't exercise, but they must be aware that they will
have to be more careful about regular spacing of meals, and about always
eating a bit of fat with their carbs to slow digestion and maintain more
steady blood glucose levels.

 Beth Glace, MS
Sports Nutritionist
Lenox Hill Hospital