AERC BOD - Mountain Region Nomination Statement from Jan Stevens

Jan is travelling - asked me to forward this to RC:

Subject: Fw: Mountain Region Nomination Statement from Jan Stevens

I am posting my nomination statement for the Mountain Region for the regional director for the AERC board.  Below is the letter that I have sent to the AERC office regarding my intent to run for the BOD:

"To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to inform the American Endurance Ride Conference (AERC) and the Mountain Region Members of my intent to run for the Board of Directors.

I have been a member of AERC since 1994. I currently have 835 miles (130 LD and 705 endurance) with AERC. Although I am not a high mileage rider, I feel that I have gained a lot of my experience in other aspects of the endurance community.

My husband and I have managed the Fort Howes Endurance Rides for the past five years. Our first ride consisted of a 25 mile LD and a 50-mile endurance ride in 1997. Since then, we have expanded to host the IAHA Region Six Championship for the past four years, hosted the AERC Mountain Region 100 mile qualifier for the AERC Nationals in 2000, and this year we successfully blended an AERC 100 mile ride with a FEI CEI-A 100 mile ride. Next year, we are hosting the IAHA National Endurance Championship.

Currently, I am serving on the AERC Protest and Grievance Committee chaired by John Parke. I am also an Endurance Steward for IAHA, and I am awaiting conformation on my application to become an Endurance Judge with the FEI and AHSA. My experience serving on our local school board for the past eight years, five of which as chairperson, I feel gives me an understanding of parliamentary procedure and the ability to work with others to attain goals that are in the best interests of everyone concerned.

Putting all my credentials aside, I feel that I would be a valuable member of the AERC Board of Directors. I feel that the AERC members are a community, a community of vast interests. Riders that are interested in completing for mileage, riders who are interested in riding for the win, and riders who want to go beyond and compete internationally. There certainly is room for all the interests, but not at the expense of any one interest.

The future of AERC is looking good in my eyes. Personally, I think that the organization is going through some "growing pains." As with any group that is evolving, there are some that are feeling "short changed" and other feeling that the organization is not moving fast enough. Growth is good. We are expanding our membership by leaps and bounds because endurance is one of the fastest growing equestrian sports in the world. I would like to see AERC continue to reach out to more people. By increasing our membership, we will bring in new ideas and resources. Expanding our knowledge of the veterinary aspects as well at new technology can only help our sport become safer for all those involved. We do need, however, to remember the past. There is still much to be learned from those that have "been around the block." Education for the "newbie" and for those of us that have been at it for awhile is one of the items that I would like to see addressed by the BOD.

One of the things that I have always enjoyed about endurance is the "family" aspect of it. Everyone can compete and ride. It doesn't require any special tack, trailers, or horse. All it takes is devotion to your horse and a little time. I will always remember this summer riding with my daughter, Jennifer (age 10), on her first 50. We were leaving for the last nine miles, Jennifer turned around and said, "Mom, it doesn't seem like we've gone 41 miles so far." Off she trotted, happy as a lark.

If you are interested in finding out more about me and the issues that I feel are important to the endurance community, I welcome your questions. Please feel free to contact me at the above address, phone, fax, or e-mail.

Thank you,

Jan Stevens

AERC #15115