saddle fit confusion

Hi - I'm confused about a saddle fitting point, can someone help me
understand this?  I know I need to be able to slide my fingers in the side
of the saddle below the pommel where the fork's tree points would be to
ensure saddle clearance for the shoulders.  Does this just ensure that when
the pad is in place there will be clearance?  Or should I be able to get
fingers in there with the pad in place, too?  Are the rules the same with
flocked saddles that have give, or can they be a bit firmer?

My saddle appears to fit perfectly w/ no pad, meaning it clears with
withers, sits level, makes contact along the center of the saddle, and the
pitch of the front and back looks right.  Sweat pattern looks good, too.
However, it's snug against her shoulders.  It sits right up against them -
doesn't appear to pinch but looks snug.  Does this mean I need a wider
gullet?  It's a Bates so I can adjust it if needed.

Last Q, the saddle is quite short in length - is there such thing as tooo
short?  If I have time today, I'll post pictures of the Isabell next to my
other saddles to show the differences.

Thanks,
Michelle