Re: Riding Bred Mares in LD's

I am wondering how UMECRA would ever enforce this?  My sister bred her mare
two years ago and when she "seemed" to come back into heat midsummer, she
decided to wait until the following year to try again.  Subsequently she did
ride the mare in LD.  The mare was conditioned quite regularly and was very
fit and trim.  It wasn't until about the end of November or December that
she started to fill out and we began to suspect she MIGHT be pregnant after
all!  She was and delivered a beautiful foal the following April.  I believe
we had a discussion a couple of years ago about this. I remember because I
made the mistake of advising someone that they could NOT ride a pregnant
mare in endurance and was quickly chastised for it.  I learned that it is
not an AERC rule but it IS a rule within some of the smaller sanctioning
bodies and could also be a ride manager's rule.  I believe Heidi stated then
(correct me if I am wrong) that she has ridden pregnant mares in 50s with no
ill effects...my sister's mare had a healthy pregnancy and birth and I think
she fared better because of her past history of conditioning and some
endurance (even though it was only LD).  JMO,
Maggie