Re: RC: Mare Tie-Up Question

You can get a blood test for Se. I don't know which labs do it, I have to ask
my vet that question but if I remember correctly he sent the samples to MSU
for Se testing. I do it yearly. I feed to maintain the Se level in the
reccomending range for serum and total Se levels. What I have found the amount
of Se I have to supplement is a lot higher than reccomended on the supplements
and much higher than the NRC reccomendation. Of course a lot of this depends
on what you feed, where you live, etc. The most accurate way to find out is to
pull blood and see where your horse is. If you live in FL there is no natural
Se in the soil. I think the same is true for the northwest. If you live in
Colorado there are places with almost toxic levels of Se in the soil.

I found that since I started this protocol, one of my horses who always was
"tight muscled" is now very loose and goes much better.

Truman