Re: Horses illustrated Article & post from Merryben

Thank you Merryben (we reward first place and TT).  Like it or not, when you
do that, it IS a race at least for some of those entered on any given day.
If we don't want endurance riding to be a race, Alexander MacKay Smith has
proposed a system that will take all the "race" out of it.  But I don't see a
mass exodus of endurance riders (AERC members?) trying to get rules changes
that would implement his suggestions.
    I would like to see everyone celebrate the sports diversity.  Personally,
I think its great when someone who wants to ride for milage and someone
(whose prepared their horse), and enjoys going "zoom, zoom," can ride over
the same track to the same finish line and succeed each in their own goals.
I don't think it gets any better than that.  Both riders are enjoying Gods
country, both riders are enjoying the horse/human partnership, both riders
are testing themselves and their horses on their own terms and if we keep a
perspective on "success," realizing that the horse and rider who finishes rid
e after ride, year after year deserves as much respect as the "first place
horse across the finish line, WE will be the ones to shape endurance, not a
magazine article's title.   PS, as a professional who works with first time
LD riders as well as successful international riders, I personally experience
just as much joy in a job well done by a client whether they are an LD "new
bee" or a 50 mile completer or a medal winner.  However, from a business
stand point I can't disregard the fact that others seem to respond more
favorably to a list of successful medal winning clients, rather than with a
list of the "had a great time, did a successful ride, had a happy horse and
fell in love with the sport" riders.  Seems like a bit of a double standard
if we all want it to be only endurance "riding" doesn't it?   Donna
Snyder-Smith