BRVHRT & CHKNSHT, Chapter 2

And the story continues ...

The girls crossed the street and entered into the new development of
Hidden Valley.  Great big homes, so large that their half acre, horse
property design is a joke.  Even though the girls disapprove of the size
of the lots, they have to admit it will be a nice looking neighborhood
when the trees start to grow and the houses get landscaped.  The bridle
trail through the development is beautiful.  Plenty wide enough for two
riders to ride abreast and lined with rail fencing.  Just the kind of
trails the Cadillac loves to prance down and wow the spectators.  The
Jeep doesn't care what kind of terrain she is taken down, she just likes
to go, go, go.

In order to get to the hills they had to exit the development and ride
along the outside bridle trail up to a huge golf course.  Along the way
to the golf course they would pass the entrances of several new
developments all decked out with flags and balloons to entice people to
come in and look at the new homes.  A breeze was blowing and up ahead
towering lines with balloon clusters waved and danced across the trail.
The girls stopped to watch the balloons, and decided it was safe to
proceed.  Neither horse seemed bothered by the balloons, even  when the
blobs came soaring down to within 15 feet of the ground.  They would
always start to rise before coming all the way down.  The Cadillac
started off first.  She knew she was pointed towards home, and dinner had
been interrupted.  The Jeep was only a few strides behind.  In the middle
of this long line of balloons CHKNSHT noticed a cluster in front of them
coming towards the ground and stopped.  She wasn't convinced the Cadillac
had paid enough attention to the balloons and wanted to see what the
balloons would do.  At about 15 feet above them, as usual, the balloons
ended their descent and gently started to rise again.  The Cadillac
continued forward, unconcerned with the whole mess.  CHKNSHT heard a
scuffle of feet behind her.  It was more than a whirl, but less than
running feet.  BRVHRT yelled to the Jeep.  CHKNSHT stopped and turned to
see BRVHRT on the ground and the Jeep backing off in mortal terror.  That
horrid, nasty, cluster of balloons that had raised before the Cadillac on
a gentle breeze came rushing back down at the Jeep and hit her on the
head!  In her haste to retreat from the monster the Jeeps whirl included
a stumble.  The momentum of the whirl was abruptly cut short by the
stumble and BRVHRT was pitched into the dirt!  BRVHRT lost her grip on
the Jeeps reins, but the Jeep, while terror danced in her eyes, was not
about to leave.  Whether it was because BRVHRT was on the ground and
telling her to whoa, or because the Cadillac was standing quiet and
unafraid amidst all the soaring monsters will never be known.  It was
probably a combination of the two.  The Jeep was not happy being there.
But she stood like a rock while BRVHRT gathered herself together and went
to the mare.  "Are you OK," asked CHKNSHT?  "Yes," came the reply, "I
think I broke my thumb, though.....again."

"Come again?"  CHKNSHT wasn't quite sure she had heard things right.
"Oh, well, I'm pretty sure I broke my thumb again.  It feels like I did.
It's the third time.  My neck kinda hurts too.  My elbow has road rash
and I put a hole in my pants.  Other than that I'm fine.  Nothing hurts
too bad.  Let's go."  CHKNSHT figured BRVHRT meant for them to turn
around and go home the way they had come, but, noooo, it was closer to go
through the hills.  BRVHRT led the Jeep under the balloons and across the
street before mounting up.  All the while CHKNSHT is trying to figure out
what she could do to help BRVHRT.  Never having broken a finger before
CHKNSHT is thinking holding on to anything must be excruciatingly
painful, but BRVHRT is acting as though nothing has happened.  BRVHRT
reevaluates her thumb and thinks it's just ligament damage, but she still
has CHKNSHT stumped.  CHKNSHT is suppose to take charge in situations
like this.  This is where she excels.  But BRVHRT doesn't need CHKNSHT's
help.  CHKNSHT is confused, all of her friends are wimpy little nut cases
that lose all control at the slightest sign of danger (or blood).  BRVHRT
is different.  CHKNSHT kind of likes this woman of steel, this Wonder
Woman of Horsetown.  CHKNSHT decides to just shut up and continue on,
it's what she would have done if their places were reversed (at least,
she thinks it's what she would have done).

On up the street they go to the entrance of the golf course.  The club
house road leads off to the right and the maintenance road leads to the
left, along with the bridle trail.  They turn left.  Right in front of
them is a sign that says, "Horse trail closed.  Scheduled to reopen Nov
2001."  They stood there quietly for a few seconds taking in the meaning
of the sign.  CHKNSHT finally said, "Do you suppose they mean the trail
along the road here is closed, or do you think they mean the trail in the
hills?  If it's just the trail along the road maybe we could just ride
out in the street for a little while."  BRVHRT doesn't know anymore than
CHKNSHT, but BRVHRT does know the trail to the hills is just up the
street.  They decide to ride up the trail.  If it is impassable they'll
go out in the street around it.  The trail is just fine all the way to
the maintenance shed at the edge of the golf course.

If you remember in Chapter One the girls left their barn about 5:30 in
the evening.  It's now about 7 PM and, while there is still light, the
sun is definitely going down.  The girls cross into the edge of the golf
course, the Cadillac still in the lead; but CHKNSHT has absolutely no
idea where to go, and relinquishes the lead to BRVHRT and the Jeep.
BRVHRT points up the hill and says, "The trail is just right up there."
Off they go.  CHKNSHT is not above busting brush, but it was soon
apparent to her that unless they got to the trail quickly, the Cadillac
would soon be over her head.  Up in front the Jeep's long legs and lithe,
agile body skimmed over the tops of the rocks and brush.  The Jeep seemed
to relish in the rugged terrain.  She was in her element.  A true
mountain goat, sure footed and unafraid.  Behind her the behemoth
Cadillac struggled to maintain footing.  Lurching and scrambling the
Caddie would not be left behind, and, yet, as the terrain became steeper
and rockier, she definitely didn't want to go any farther forward.
BRVHRT came to a halt, sensing the Caddie needed to rest.  The Caddie
turned sideways on the hillside just behind the Jeep.  What a magnificent
sight to see the Jeep standing quietly on the hillside, totally in
control, not a drop of sweat anywhere on her beautiful body.  She turned
her head and looked at the Cadillac as if to say, "Now you're in my
territory."  The Cadillac wanted out.  She was huffing and puffing and a
slight tremble could be felt by CHKNSHT.  BRVHRT pointed to just above
us, "That's where we're going."  But between us lay even steeper terrain
with bigger rocks that CHKNSHT knew would get the Caddie into trouble.
CHKNSHT's stomach was about to crawl out of her mouth and slap her across
the face and yell, "Get a grip!!"  CHKNSHT, for the first time that she
could ever remember, was scared to death.  CHKNSHT has done some hair
raising things in her time, all on horses that were just like the Jeep.
But the Cadillac is not a Jeep.

Years ago CHKNSHT would not have hesitated to get rid of any horse like
the Cadillac.  If the horse was incapable of doing the things CHKNSHT
wanted to do, get rid of it and find one that will.  Simple as pie.  Easy
as cake.  CHKNSHT has never owned a horse quite like the Cadillac.  Her
personality alone made her worth the money, and now the Caddie has so
endeared herself to CHKNSHT the thought of replacing her has never
entered her mind.  Until then.

CHKNSHT was most humiliated when she said, "Cadillac can't do this.  I
have to get off and walk her down the hill.  I'm sorry, but I'm
terrified, and I'm going back down."  BRVHRT said, "I'm getting off and
coming with you because I think we took a wrong turn somewhere."  BRVHRT,
bless her soul, started walking back down the hill with the Jeep right
behind.  CHKNSHT, with her short stubby legs was tripping down the hill
behind her.  The Cadillac was being totally uncooperative.  She wanted to
have her nose in the Jeeps tail, but CHKNSHT can't keep up with BRVHRT's
walk.  Every other step CHKNSHT is telling Cadillac to whoa and tugging
on the reins so she can regain her balance in order to find a new bush or
rock to trip over.  What a mess.  The Cadillac is close to losing
control.  She has decided the Jeep is the boss and the short, fat broad
on the ground is a pest that should be swatted at like a fly.  The Caddie
is not happy.

CHKNSHT say's she's all for backtracking the city streets home.  BRVHRT
convinces her there is a spot back up the road where they can pick up the
trial easily.  Once on the trail there is no problem.  BRVHRT and the
Jeep ride this trail all the time, it's a good trail, they just tried to
get to it in the wrong spot.  CHKNSHT agrees and together they walk back
up the street to a spot where they both easily see the trail.  Down over
the side of the hill they go.  The terrain isn't bad here, but CHKNSHT
still has trouble walking quickly through the brush.  BRVHRT and the Jeep
get ahead of them, enough that the Cadillac once again becomes agitated.
A small creek (about 6 inches wide) needs to be crossed in a thick stand
of trees and brush.  Only one body at a time can get through it.  BRVHRT
and the Jeep go through and head up the hill to the trail.  The Cadillac
can no longer see the Jeep and totally stops listening to CHKNSHT.  She
will not wait on the other side of the creek while CHKNSHT crosses.  The
Caddie barges through almost knocking CHKNSHT off her feet, and tries to
surge ahead.

Damn that Pat Perelli.  CHKNSHT and the Caddie attended Pat's last
Primary clinic in Rolling Hills Estates years ago.  They came away with
some new ideas, mostly just amused by the whole thing, though.  Pat
didn't say anything they didn't already know, and didn't really teach
them anything they couldn't already do; but a few things were gleaned
from the experience.  Including Pat's idea's that you should make a horse
longe around you while you move about, not just when standing still.  For
years, whenever CHKNSHT would take Caddie for a walk, because the big
mare walks so much faster than she, CHKNSHT would longe the mare around
her as she walked.  The big mare has gotten so used to pulling in front
of CHKNSHT and then circling around and around, she tried to do the same
thing now.  The problem was the terrain was not good enough for that sort
of nonsense.  The big mare's stride and desire to reach the Jeep were
dragging CHKNSHT along, almost knocking her off her feet.  At one point
CHKNSHT grabbed a stirrup to let the Caddie pull her up the hill, but
CHKNSHT's feet just kept getting entangled in the brush.  What an even
bigger mess.

BRVHRT and the Jeep were on the trail waiting for their misbegotten
companions.  By the time CHKNSHT and Caddie got there CHKNSHT could
barely breath.  Way too many cookies and not enough exercise will be the
death of CHKNSHT.  It took a few minutes, but CHKNSHT caught her breath
and said, "Where's a rock?  I'm getting on my horse."  A large rock was
just up ahead.  The Cadillac was still upset, but was content to stand
quietly because she was finally next to the Jeep.  CHKNSHT climbed on the
rock and the Cadillac thought this was a good time to rub her head.  One
rub and CHKNSHT would have been tossed off the rock, so Caddie was pushed
away rather abruptly.  The moment CHKNSHT put the reins over the Caddie's
head the big horse calmed down.  CHKNSHT asked the mare to step forward
so she could get on and as the mare did as she was told her front foot
landed on a flat rock that tilted to the side.  CHKNSHT refused to mount
until the Caddie got off the wobbly rock.  The mare stepped forward off
the rock and stood like a statue while CHKNSHT climbed aboard.  BRVHRT
and the Jeep waited patiently in front, and when CHKNSHT was all settled
she picked up her reins to cue the Cadillac that it was time to move out.

End of Chapter Two