Re: Muscle Tie-Up/Question?

> > I feed
> > her Bermuda Hay, Beet
> > Pulp (6 pounds soaked), Rice Bran (2 pounds) and
> > occasionally a small
> > amount of Alfalfa as a treat, per day.
>
> The alfalfa could be too much calcium.  Does she not
> get any green grass?  Your ration sounds off.  Her
> muscles need electrolytes in order to function
> properly and if she doesn't get it in the forage,
> she'll be in trouble.

The ration sounds pretty good to me, actually.  I agree the horse needs
electrolytes, so should have free choice salt, but there's plenty of
electrolytes in bermuda and beet pulp.  As long as the amount of alfalfa is
a small amount, no calcium-phosphorus problems there.

> Why are you feeding beet pulp and rice bran?  Not much
> nutrition there really.

Wrongwrongwrong.  Sorry, but y'are.  Your information is way off.

Susan G