Re: RC: Elevating

--- Kris Givens <givensb@prodigy.net> wrote:
> As I was pouring over the rules in the AERC handbook
> I found a section
> on elevating (p 4).  I'm wondering how often that
> happens and what is is
> the general attitude of the ride management if a
> rider elevates say from
> a 50 to a 100?  Also, what would the reasons for
> elevating be?

Back in the day, elevator rides were used to get folks
into endurance.  If the horse did well at 25 miles,
they could elevate to the 50.  On these rides, the
start times for the 25 and 50 would be the same.  Many
managers won't allow a rider to elevate from 50 to 100
but there were a few rides where you could elevate
from the 75 to a 100.

It's kind of like a safety net.  I'm not for sure I
could go X miles but if I can make it half way in good
shape, perhaps it's worth it to try to go on.  I don't
see elevator rides much anymore and I don't know why.

=====
Susan Young Casey
Glenndale Grace Farm
Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!"         - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)