Re: RAT Championship & Endurance Ride

----- Original Message -----
From: "DreamWeaver" <nvrider@home.com>

> I went to the Ride and Tie Championship yesterday and did the 50 mile
> endurance ride.  It was several events in one, a 15 and 35 mile Ride and
> Tie, 35 mile Trail Run, 20 mile ride - 10k Biathlon, and a 50 and 25 mile
> endurance ride.

I was also there, and can add our story....My daughter and I were entered in
the short course (15) mile Ride and Tie, having only done one ride and tie,
the Quicksliver short course (14 mile) in may. I knew my horse, Nasty Chancy
was fit, but worried about us running at alttitude.

The first campground was packed already but
> there was still some room left further up.  I was even able to get a
corral
> for Rocky.  The campgrounds surrounded a big meadow, where the vetting was
> to take place on ride day. This was beautiful country.  I had kind of
> figured that this wasn't going to be an easy ride since it was a
> Championship course for the RAT, and we were surrounded by mountains

I also got into that campground...later than I had wanted and stressed...I
drove up with two horses
(0ne back-up in case the one did not vet through), and my husband was bring
up the kids after school-including my ride and tie partner, daugher Brenna,
age 14. I was further stressed when they didn't show up until almost 11:00
p.m., after spending 45 minutes looking for me, and Brenna comming down with
a cold. Chancy almost had not vetted in, having a boo boo on one back
fetlock, so I was sent out to warm her up better....on second vetting she
moved fine....I wasn't worried-she was her usual piss and vinegar attitude
and felt sound to me....

The first loop was a lot of hills, with
> rocky footing.  Dusty, like the Tevis trails.  I had my GPS on with an
> antenna, and at about 10 miles (they had mile markers the entire way), I
> checked the GPS and it was right on

My husband worked at the aid station on the first loop.  He saw all the
trail runners and RATS and endurance riders come through.  We also did the
first loop on  the short course Ride and tie.  As a olympic caliber sculler
and rower, I have to admit he just wasn't that impressed until he tried to
do the first loop today on his semi-mountain bike-ha ha.  He then had some
respect for those who had ridden and run the course!

My daugher didn't do a tie as soon as I wanted, giving me most of the 2 mile
hill on the first part of the first loop... but I got her back by leaving
her most of the hill on the second little loop.

 I further worried that we would go too fast at the start and cause Chancy
to tie-up (she was pissed to leave buddy horse in camp), so we took it slow,
and worried we would miss a turn or the horse.  At least 3 runners went by
their tied horses and had to come back, one several miles.   ....I did
harbor some hopes at that point that we might not be last.....but they
eventually passed us!  At least two horses tied up in the first 3 miles
also.  We came in 6th place and last, but I sure was happy just to finish.
I can also see how I need to run more!

|We also took it slow on the downhills, becuase of the rocks!  Well, so I
did enjoy all the Sierra views!  The scenery was gorgeous and the weather
perfect! It was tough and I was tired.  I have to also say I feel totally
humbled by those who did the 50, and those that did the 35 mile ride and
tie.  There are some tough horses and folks out there!  I also ran into
Kathy Mayeda, who finished the 50! I feel the ride organizers did a terrific
job with this event, and the course was very well marked.

Sunday morning, they had a biathalon, which looked like a lot of fun!  It
was only the first loop horse ride (12.4 miles), then a 10K run.   YOu could
do it as Ironman (both events), or have separate rider and runner.  My
daughter and I later in the day, rode the loop the runners did, and decided
that next year, should we go, my husband can do the trail run part of the
biathalon!

My daughter was too sick to pick up her award (a buckle!)., so I did, and we
headed to bed, early.

All got home safe and sound.  It was fun!  Now, maybe headed for Lake Sonoma
ride.
Karen Sullivan