Muscle Tie-Up/Question?

Nina Bomar caballos@att.net
I have an 8 yr old mare (1/2Arab 1/2 Running Qaurter), which
I purchased nine months ago.  She stands about 15'2 Liver Chestnut and is
broad in the chest and rear, but short backed and well proportioned.  She
had never been ridden (poor thing!)and so I started her in Dressage, which
has given her a wonderful foundation.  We have increased our trail mileage
gradually and she is strong and eager to go.  I feed her Bermuda Hay, Beet
Pulp (6 pounds soaked), Rice Bran (2 pounds) and occasionally a small
amount of Alfalfa as a treat, per day.

The problem is she has tied up twice and I don't know why.  The first time
I thought it was because she hadn't been out for about three days and I
took her to a new place.  She was a bit anxious and within a half hour she
bagan to tie up.  I walked her home and the next day she seemed okay.  The
the middle of no-man's land!) and she tied up again.  This time we had to
walk back to the trailer, which was quite a ways and I gave her Banamine
(my vet had given me in case of another emergency).  I had a blood panel
done and it came back normal.  I now fear everytime we go out that she is
going to tie-up.  I am constantly stopping to feel her rear-end or I'll
turn around and go back at the slightest thought that something is wrong!
We have never had any problems while training in the arena riding Dressage
and we are working very hard there too.  I fear that she is not going to
be suitable for endurance and it breaks my heart because she is so much
fun to ride.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thank you.