Endurance vs. NATRC

Title: Potpourri of Horses Stationery from StationeryCentral

Potpourri of Horses Stationery
From the desk of Betty Edgar

Elayne--

I've done both NATRC open (approx. 2000 miles) and AERC 50-100 milers (approx. 5000 miles) so I feel qualified to compare the two.  Apples/oranges sort of thing I believe.

NATRC does certainly teach safety and care of your horse as well as pacing since you're more or less forced to keep the designated pace for any particular event.  I do not believe that it teaches good riding skills, i.e. proper centered/balanced riding.  At least when I was riding NATRC the horsemanship judges wanted to see you "light in the saddle" which translated into too much weight in the stirrups, a too forward position, which can lead to a very imbalanced inappropriate seat for long distance riding or any other riding for that matter.

Endurance you are on your own as far as horsemanship and pacing but you WILL learn better ways of caring for your horse post ride, and of necessity will probably develop a more balanced seat and better posting skills.  But a few riding lessons wouldn't hurt either.

As for pacing, you can learn that on your own by working on it during training rides.  Mark distances and check times on your training trails/logging roads, whatever you use.  Learn to judge your horse's mph at various gait speeds.  Hours/miles of this will teach you a "feel" for pacing.  If possible ride with an experienced endurance rider. . . one who has done many rides of 50 miles or more.

Generally, if terrain permits you try to maintain a pace mile after mile and that pace will be a trot of some length or speed, depending upon where your horse is most efficient and is currently in condition to maintain.  And only you can learn where your horse prefers to work. . . most likely between 8 mph and 12 mph, but maybe less.  At this point the speed doesn't matter, you're wanting to develop the consistency of the pace.

When you are doing an LD ride be aware of keeping the same pace the whole ride.  That is, do not go out faster at the start than what your horse is capable of maintaining throughout the ride.  If need be start after everyone else so you are in better control of the situation and perhaps even going more slowly than you'd like to ride.  If you're in control of the speed during the first part of the ride you can then pick up the pace later as your horse relaxes into the work.

Hope this helps.

Betty Edgar

Download your FREE personalized Stationery now from StationeryCentral.com