Re: American Saddlery

Hi Maggie -

I have American's Bear Trap Rancher model #721. Not an endurance type model,
but nonetheless, I do find it comfortable for long trail rides with a merino
cover. And yes, it did seem wide at first. I ride mostly with an SS or
bareback, so this saddle (along with a Rocking R buckaroo) is a spare, not
really seeing that much use.

I think for it's $, it is a decently made saddle. I purchased mine used (1
year old, ridden one time) for $400. I believe they bring $800 +/- new. I
like the quality of the leather, and the stitching on mine is real nice,
uniform and tight.

I swapped out the stirrups for Easy Rides, and also put stirrup turners on
it. I feel it places my legs in a good position, not too far forword.

I guess my only negative is the swells being too wide for my pommel bags, so
I had to make up a special set just for that saddle. I do like the high
cantle, along with the "old timey" look. The plain leather makes it very
easy to keep clean. The leather was also dyed evenly.

I purchased from a store, so I don't have any interaction with the
manufacturer, but they do have a website www.americansaddlery,com. I rode
the saddle for a week before I finally bought it.

Hope this helps -

Cheryl in WNY
Horse kids Kit, Bobby & Dani