Re: RC: RE: Re: Re: Re:hydration and hay type

In a message dated 9/14/01 7:06:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<<  patch that produces an alkaloid that causes excessive salivation in
livestock.  Alsike can cause photosensitization (sunburn on the nose and
white legs and such.)

   Hope this helps.

   Susan G >>

Could this be the reason my horse had a slight reaction after my last ride?
We were home a couple of days and I noticed his skin was flaking off
everywhere his tack touched him. Back, (Skito pad) breast collar (biothane).
Looked like dandruff. He was drooling like a mad dog when I loaded him up to
go to the ride. Quit before we arrived. (five hours) He also had trouble
recovering to parameters at the P/Rs ~ NATRC  48 pulse. Lost points for the
first time.
I do give him 'some' alfalfa at the rides, but as a mix with his grass hay.
The alfalfa is KY grown, so not the high powered stuff of the West.
It was a bit muggy, but not really hot, yet he was damp from sweat just
standing at the trailer.
He is a 15.3 H Paint, more the TB type with flatter muscle, but still he is a
big guy, so I expect to have a bigger job of cooling him. But, he usually has
no trouble coming down to permitters, and his working pulse is the same or
even lower than my Arab riding buddies.
Any thoughts ~ suggestions?

Thanks ever so much. I never miss reading your excellent, thoughtful posts.
Jan & Rider