From: tony johnston [mailto:vjohnst1@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 12:16 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Sharon Saare tree sizes

Here is the info from a brochure:

A width - prominent on Thoroughbred type withers, well defined.  Goes on
narrow Arabs and Pasos, those with shoulders that blend into their sides.

B width - horse has well defined withers, but is a dab thicker set, and
shoulder may be more prominent.  Works for many Arabs, Morgans,
Tennessee Walkers, Foxtrotters, and some Quarter Horses.

C width - accommodates a wider backed horse, but still of the breedy
type, just thicker set.  Used for lots of Arabs, Morgans, Tennessee Walkers.

The above trees work best on horses whose backs slope away from the
spine.  The following are for flatter backed horses:

CC width - Like the C tree, but better for horses that are flatter over
the back and loin.  Also good if horse is slightly sway backed or bunchy
shouldered, or whose croup is higher than withers.

D width - for the really thickset horse.  Some of these individuals have
good withers and top lines, some are very flat over the withers, all are
broad over loin and back.  It is the angle of the bars that makes this
tree work.  Ideal for Quarter Horses, many of the new thicker Arabs and
quite a few of the BLM wild horses.

E width - for the horse that is very broad behind the shoulders but not
so broad over the back.  Lots of Foxtrotters use this one.

F width - for the horse that is very straight backed but requires
shoulder flare.

There is a real problem with assigning trees to breeds in that all
breeds have all sizes and types of backs.  Type is far more important
than breed.

Hope this helps.

Vicki Johnston