Teaching to Lead

 Hi Listers:
  I have a young Canadian colt and I need a little help getting him to lead.
He comes along nicely when I am on the ground, leading him with a halter.
He responds well to Walk, Trot, Whoa.  Now I want to have him follow our
marathon cart and at a trot and so I have done this... hold onto his lead
rope, but also run a line through a surcingle and around his rump.  That
works pretty well as he does not like to be reminded to keep up, with
pressure from the rump rope.  However, he has decided to kick out when the
rope bothers his butt.  I don't want him to get a habit of kicking
  Is there a better way to string this rope, like under his belly, over his
shoulder?  I seem to remember something about this being talked about on
here but can't think of key words to search the archive with.
  Anyone have any hints for me?  I almost hesitate to mention that he is
going to be my endurance prospect for the year 2005.  He is only 1 now so we
have plenty of time to teach and learn.
  Thanks for your time.  Sorry for all the heartache and bad feelings going
on across the nation.
Sherman and Kandu in Fl
http://pages.prodigy.net/shermano/kandu/home.htm