From: Susan Garlinghouse
To: Jeanne Slominski ; ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: alfalfa hay and enteroliths

As far as I know, the mg content in the oat hay doesn't approach that in alfalfa.  So I'm happier with oat hay than alfalfa by far, and no, the two don't balance each other magnesium-wise.

Oat hay with supplements is fine depending on the supplements (making sure it isn't creating a calcium-phosphorus inversion).

Oat hay with minimal alfalfa is okay depending on why you're feeding the alfalfa at all.  If it's to provide extra body heat during winter, that's fine, but preferably keep the alfalfa under 25% of the hay ration.  If it's to balance calcium-phosphorus, 2-3 pounds would suffice.  If it's for additional calories, you're much better off with beet pulp with or without additional fats added in.

Susan G