Hoof injured at coronet band

Hi,

I have a horse that hit its hoof in some mysterious way to knock a 1 inch by
1/2 inch chunk out at the top of the coronet band.  I have it wrapped and
have been treating with furazone/DMSO.  The vet told me it would cornify
within about 3 weeks but will take 8-12 months to fully grow out.  I am
wondering if it will be strong enough to subject to trail conditions.  Does
anyone know of a way to protect this area of the hoof as it grows out?  Or if
I even need to protect it?

Thanks,
Tish Stoots
Bozeman MT