Re: RC: Wrapping legs

At 03:08 PM 9/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
>At 02:36 PM 09/12/2001 -0700, Sue Brown wrote:
>>At this time there hasn't seemed to be a need...but I'm sure
>>there will be in the future.  I'm just not sure when would be an
>>appropriate time to start.
>
>If you wrap a horses legs after a ride, how will you know if there is any
>heat or swelling?

Which is why I haven't wrapped...but overheard someone who competes a lot
in the longer distances with several horses say she *always* wraps their
legs after a ride.  Got me thinking about wraps, the different kinds, and
when would be the appropriate time to wrap.  Have not had any inclination
to do so at this point but thought I must be missing something.

My former trainer and mentor had me even ditch the splint boots (during
work sessions) that covered the fetlock area (the expensive ones) when I
started working with him...said that wrapping the legs hides the problems
and doesn't strengthen the structures in that area...in fact works the
other way.  I can see where they might be of some help on really long,
tough rides but I won't be in that category for some time either.

So...I've never wrapped, during or after.  And not sure when or what would
be appropriate or necessary...or perhaps nothing ever...but do pay
attention and start investigating when I hear someone say they "always" so
something.  It's admittedly a weak area in my education so far. <g>

Sue