Re: RE: Terrorism

>>So, Maryanne, could you explain this passion that some of the Arab

>The Koran as a revelation came to a group of people who were >ostracized
>from an animist culture and under attack. Thus, it's hardly >surprising
>that goodies are promised to those who defend the new >culture unto death.
>It should also be noted that there are a lot of >social rules in the Koran
>about the caring for widows and orphans as >well. 7 virgins? I dunno.

Last night I flipped through my copy of the Koran, and found nothing about 7
virgins, although I did find a passage that mentioned that although rich
rewards those who die for their faith, Allah despises an aggressor.  The
Koran does NOT endorse slaughter, and is worth a read for all Christians;
Islam and Christianity are tines of the same fork.  The forward to the
translation I own mentions that Muhammed was disappointed because he felt
that Christians were idolizing Christ, in direct defiance to God's command,
Thou shalt have no other gods before Me and that the Jews were
misinterpreting the word of God altogether.  Muslims aren't bogeymen; they
are worshipping the same God that Christians and Jews are.

>I think it might be the death of most of the guys I know. <G>  The >fact is
>that most Muslims see no need for jihad in this world, just as >most
>Christians don't run around telling people who don't happen to >follow
>THEIR brand of religion that they will go to hell for sure.

Yeah, and no one gets up in arms and damns the entire religion when some nut
bombs an abortion clinic or shoots a doctor.  Well, some people do, but not
on the scale we're seeing here.  The media isn't helping either, they are
dehumanizing the denizens of the Middle East.

>But they are also angry that when something like this happens, it's >always
>assumed that they did it. Did they blow up the federal building >in
>Oklahoma City? Don't you think that if someone were crazy enough to >do
>this as an act against the Great American Satan, they sure as hell >would
>want credit for it? Why isn't anyone coming forth? Just maybe it >isn't the
>Arabs.

This is what's bothering me...something doesn't sit right about the whole
thing, if an act of terrorism can ever seem rational.  Also, I've read
reports about people on the hijacked planes calling relatives on their cell
phones...it would seem to me, that if the hijackers were foreign, this would
have been blurted out by one of the callers - "We've been hijacked by a
bunch of Arabs!"  I know that different colors or races are often the first
description we come up with.  The fact that nothing was said, makes me think
that maybe the hijackers were American or predominantly American.  Although,
Bush and the boys seem to be sure that it's bin Laden, and I'm sure that
they have intel that we don't.

>As a matter of fact I know a very gentle young man who just happens to
> >carry the name Bin Laden who is studying in the US right now, and we
> >worry greatly for his safety.

How terrifying...I am ashamed that there are Americans like the ones who
beat the Egyptian boy in DC and who will undoubtedly threaten this boy.
This is sickening...I hope we resolve this quickly and bring the criminals
to justice.

-=-=-
~angela
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit."
- Reverend Jim Peasboro, as quoted in the Weekly World News