Re: RC: RE: Terrorism

In a message dated Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:06:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Maryanne Stroud Gabbani" <maryanne@ratbusters.net> writes:

>The Koran as a revelation came to a group of people who were ostracized     from an animist culture and under attack. Thus, it's hardly surprising that     goodies are promised to those who defend the new culture unto death. It should     also be noted that there are a lot of social rules in the Koran about the     caring for widows and orphans as well.

Maryanne, you make a great point here about literalism in ANY religion.  The Old Testament also contains some very bloodthirsty and gorey things--a theological scholar once went through and listed out the various offences punishable by death as stated in the Old Testament, and the list was astonishing.  Some of the "offenses" were downright trivial, and many were simple activities that we take for granted in daily life.  Anyone not of the Christian faith who read the Old Testament and thought that mainstream Christians take it literally would be scared to death to visit a Christian nation!  But, like the Koran, it also has many good and humane teachings, much beautiful poetry and lore, etc.

I think more studies of other cultures and religions do us all good.  Thanks for your questions, Howard, and for your answers, Maryanne.

Heidi