From: Susan Garlinghouse
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 5:17 PM
Subject: RC: Re: Re:hydration and hay type

>No need to be testy, Susan. I know you know what you >are talking about.

My point is that if you want to know the physiological reasons for what you're seeing in your own horses, then ask.  If you prefer to use phrases like 'yada yada yada' , 'I don't buy it' and work off the logic that if it's green and smells good it must be better, then you're on your own.  I don't get paid for this.

> No, I don't go ou there with bags yet. I have had my hay >tested and it wasn't very impressive. What major signs of >disease am I missing?

If you had your hay tested, what was there about it that wasn't impressive?  As far as major signs of disease, you're still working off the assumption that there has to be major disease present to justify minimizing alfalfa in the ration.  That's not always the case.

>I know about entroloths (SP?) but what else? As far as >heart rate and recovery, has never been a problem.

No room for improvement whatsoever?  My philosophy has always been that I don't need life-threatening illness to be looking for improvement.  I can't even count the numbers of riders that have said they don't have any problems but will eliminate the alfalfa, and then lo and behold, come back six months later and tell me, gee, they never realized how much better their horse has gotten.  IMO, what separates the really successful riders are that they *never* stop looking for ways to improve their horse's health.

> I don't think the hay I get here in Florida is anything like >the hay I saw out west. Right now I have T&A that is >nothing but sticks and smells old.

Since I know of numerous owners in Florida that are able to get decent quality grass hay, I would assume it's available.

>Why do we always compare alfalfa to steak?

Because both are too rich to constitute the entirety of a healthy diet.

> One is a >vegetable protein and one is an animal >protein. Just like beans and nuts are high in protein but >are easier to digest than meat.

Actually, that's not accurate either, but that's another topic.

Susan G