Re: RC: Water

At 08:25 AM 9/9/2001, Kat wrote:
>While I, as a ranch manager, would not be willing to withhold water from
>a horse unless it was under veterinary instructions to do so, I also would
>not care for a horse in direct opposition to its owner's wishes.

Caveat:  I'm no lawyer.  This is my layman's interpretation of things!

When we were running our boarding stable in CA, I had to look into the laws
that pertain to boarding stables.  As I understood it, no matter what the
boarder wants, the law says that the boarding facility is obligated to
provide adequate care for the horse.

To me this meant that if I didn't provide adequate water for the horse and
the horse colicked or worse from it, I, the boarding stable owner, would be
liable!

Rae might want to investigate this herself - but I wouldn't care what the
owner wanted, I'd make sure the horse had adequate water.  Yes educate the
owner, but don't withhold water in the meantime.  It would be ironic if the
horse colicked because Rae did what the horse owner wanted, and then got
sued for it.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RIDE June 8, 2002 www.fasterhorses.com/heritage.html
* Distance Riding group/individual mentoring programs
* Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
* Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options