Re: RC: Re: hydration and hay type

suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

So does prime rib and melted butter, but I wouldn't recommend that as a
steady diet for an athlete, either.

I >would definitely like to see the research that supports >more urine out
put on horses fed strait alfalfa.

Lisa, if you want to see the numbers, by all means go to your nearest
university, use their search engines for AGRICOLA or MEDLINE and put in
alfalfa and horse as keywords.  You can spend the next six months reading
the clinical work.  Me, I did all that years ago and don't need to read it
all again.

Around here (Santa Ynez, California) its pretty much a given that you don't
want to feed alfalfa (let alone straight).  Entroliths are very prevalent in
this area and alfalfa is suspected as the main culprit.  I've found that
since I almost eliminated alfalfa from my horses' diets their pulses are
lower, mental attitudes are better (less psycho behavior :), and everything
just works better.  I think alfalfa is a "people" hay, not a horse hay.  It
DOES look good and smell good to US, it just really isn't the best thing for
a horse.  Feels good to feed it to 'em though.

Sylvia, Harca, Star, Chance & Fargo (Let them eat grass)