Re: Re: [OHAHSEmail] OH Shipper of Horses Stopped in New Holland, PA

----- Original Message -----
From: jennifer simpson
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 10:42 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Re: [OHAHSEmail] OH Shipper of Horses Stopped in New Holland, PA

>New Holland, PA- The PA SPCA assisted by the New Holland Police Department,NHPD, stopped a double deck cattle trailer carrying 31 horses on Tuesday,September 4, 2001.
>The 31 horses were seized by the PA SPCA and are being held at variouslocations as evidence in the PA SPCA's criminal investigation.

>According to the PA SPCA, the horses were destined for slaughter in Canada for human consumption overseas. Mad Cow Disease & Hoof & Mouth in Europe have driven up demand for horsemeat in Europe, resulting in more American horses being slaughtered for human consumption overseas.
>
>The EPN applauds the enforcement efforts of the PA SPCA. Please express your appreciation to the PA SPCA for their efforts to enforce Act 64.  Phone: 215-426-6300
>
>The people of the Commonwealth of PA have overwhelmingly indicated that they do not want horses transported in double deckers. The PA Legislature has passed the law, law enforcement has done their job, and now we sincerely hope the courts will find the defendant(s)guilty and impose a substantial fine and award the horses to the PA SPCA.
>Anything less will be a slap on the wrist and the cost of doing business to these haulers. Historically, only substantial fines have made these shippers stop using double deckers.
>
>>Equine Protection Network>equineprotectionnetwork.com
>End Horse Slaughter Now!>hoofpac.com

The ironic thing is this is the same state that is on its way to eliminating horse trails on it's Keystone forest property so the hunters can have exclusive rights to it.  So, even if the horses are given life over death, and some good deed doer does purchase one, nurtures it and helps the horse become fit, where will they ride? It won't be in Pennsylvania.  There's no place to ride, except on the streets behind a cart, and that's only for the Amish and Mennonites.

Don't get too carried away with what PA is doing here.  They need to open up their trails if they want to present themselves as equine friendly.  Until they do, they still are the bad guy, with a gun, wearing a badge and uniform, telling you all the trails are closed to you and your horse.  What's the point of owning a horse if there's no place to ride?

cya,

Howard