Clip-On Bridle Components - Safety of Hardware

There is a hazard to easy-clip headstall components; accidental hooking onto a stationary object such as wire fencing.  Use your imagination.  My horse hooked her bit-hanger clip on a gate chain when I was opening a gate while mounted.  I can recommend this exercise to seekers of the enhanced adrenaline rush.

Realistically, I doubt that I possess the focusing power to be constantly on alert for potential hang-up hazards every time my horse itches her face.  Give me snaps on the browband, conway buckles for bit hangers, and conways on my reins - I can add scissor clips to reins if I want; when the springs wear out the scissor clips can be replaced in minutes.  I like brass hardware even though it makes dark marks on my grey horse.  Running Bear Farms uses nice big brass snaps on browbands of halter/bridle combos.  I wish that more manufacturers offered alternative fasteners to easy-open spring clips.

Tina Rushing
El Granada, CA

----- Original Message -----  "... I unclip my bit at vet checks and clip it to my saddle... "