slaughter horses/cruelty

I have bought several horses from meat buyers, including the mare I endurance rode for years and still lives in my field.  I am going Monday to pick up the Arab that was posted here as coming from the Sugarcreek, Ohio, killer pen last week.  I am not happy about the slaughter of horses, but I see why it is and that it is, and I can live with it. I will just continue to pull one out every so often and give it a chance.

The statements made by many here, that there is abuse and cruelty in our neighbor's fields and barns, and that those horses would be better off with a quick trip to the plant, is so true, and seen in the following story:

I was executive director and cruelty investigator for a local SPCA for several years and went to a call at a farm where a dead horse was reported.  It was below freezing, and in the barn, in his stall, was a quarterhorse stallion laying sternal with his nose on the floor of the stall - apparently asleep.  Well, he was dead, frozen in that position and skeletal.  Another horse was down and had to be euthanized, and another died the next day.  Three more were ok.  There was food and hay in barn.  Long story short- the farm was 1/4 mile from a sale barn with killer buyers in attendance every four weeks.  The horses could have been let free and found their way there....Too bad they weren't.

And one does endurance now.  There, that makes it endurance related, Steph!!!!

Laura Hayes