Re: RE: Re: Re: psyllium and bermuda hay

Title: RE: Re: Re: psyllium and bermuda hay

----- Original Message -----
From: Kathy Mayeda
To: Susan Garlinghouse ; ridecamp@endurance.net ; Lif Strand
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 7:08 PM
Subject: RC: RE: Re: Re: psyllium and bermuda hay

>And then how did you weigh the sand afterwards?  All >the water evaporated off?

Yup.

>I could just see the happy horse faces now!  I have taken >to feeding Beau’s hay at ridecamps soaked in a bucket.

That strategy also works very nicely for horses with heaves.  Or, any horses with bad/healing mouth sores from teeth overdue from floating, or fractured jaws, etc, do very nicely with hay cubes soaked down in water until they become a gruel---much easier to eat.

>BTW, this has gotten my brain churning – do you think >that Beau’s weight loss every summer could be due to >the increased loose dirt/sand when the pasture dries >out?  (The only time he’s ever got close to colicing is

More likely is just that the feed value of the pasture declines.  If he losing more weight than he should during the summer, probably a good idea to supplement with hay or beet pulp or whatever.

Susan G