From: Bean2591@aol.com
To: happyhoofprints@hotmail.com
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: RC: psyllium and bermuda hay

Hi Beth,
I am having an allergy 'issue' with my 6 yr. old Paint gelding. This is the
second summer I have had him and both summers in August he begins coughing
and has rapid breathing. This seems to last August and September then stops.
(His previous owner is a friend and lives about 1 hour + NE of here and they
have never had this problem)   We have been training for LD and he has been
doing so well. I train with friends who ride LD and Endurance on their Arabs
and we have been able to keep up just fine - after a year of training...
however, we have this health problem that has us side lined right now and
ride season is starting... I'm just sick about my buddy and really itching to
ride!!
When his problem started last year, I treated him with Tri-hist,  no change.
Then one vet told me he had heaves. We switched his food to sweet feed with
beet pulp. No change. Started giving him Cough Free, no change, MSM, no
change, then a course of antibiotics. It was the end of Sept. by now and he
cleared up. He had no health problems again until August this year... I had
also switched vets.  This year at the first notice I started him on
Tri-hist... no change, then the course of antibiotics (i have kept him on MSM
and cough free and same feed) and no change.  We've had a bronchial scope
done and all it shows is slight mucus... Last summer when i got the second
opinion my dr. said he didn't think it was a case of heaves but either
allergy or respitory infection. This year we did try Ventpulium after the
antibiotics with no change... Now because it returned at the same time of
year I am more inclined to think it is due to the allergy. Your post
mentioned something about low country mold spores... how did you figure that
out?  My vet has suggested that he may have Anhydrosis. Which would explain
the rapid breathing... trying to cool down. We're in Central Florida - very
hot of late.  He suggested electrolites and one beer a day!! (For the horse)
So far that has not made any difference.  Do you have any suggestions?  As a
newbie I am anxious to talk to anyone who may have had a similar experience.
By the way, I do wet his hay which is T&A - light on the A.  Thank you... for
any thoughts or suggestions.  Sorry this is so lengthy.
Shellie Brassler
On the 7th day God created horses, on the 8th he painted the good ones.