hydration (from Barb Peck)

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Karen:

I have read where the "normal" horse will pee every 4 hrs. on average.
But in my experience, from riding horses since I was 10
most of them pee less than that while being ridden and only some pee more.

I have a gelding right now, that I used to worry about constantly because
he'll pee about every 1.5 hrs while being ridden (but not necessarily
large quanity)

He seems to always pee within the first half hr. of riding and then on a
pretty regular basis after that.
He's a good drinker, but doesn't drink excessively.
I've had his urine tested and have had complete blood panels if he's being
competed, and have never found anything wrong.
The last ride I was on (25) his hydration didn't change from start to
finish.

My vet said that either he has a small bladder, OR that his body is
efficient at removing wastes faster than normal (which IF that's true, and
I'm not sure I buy that explanation, is a good thing - cuz he's a pretty
big horse) Although I don't really see a diference when he's in condition
or not, so I opt for the small bladder theory.

What I don't know, is how much he pees on his own all day long in the
pasture.... so I don't know for sure if it's increased when I ride or not.

Sigh.. the things we worry about.
Barb