Re: RC: horse temp

In a message dated Thu, 6 Sep 2001  1:28:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Roger Rittenhouse <roger@vmaxept.com> writes:

> HI - well under AERC VET guide lines - a vet COULD pull you for a
> rectal temp of 103F. ( with other issues)
>  A temp of 105F is a major concern over that the
> horse internal core temp may be 107 or higher  - could die .

These numbers are pretty accurate, but I'd add that the concern in the 103-104 range is not that the horse hits them during work, but rather that he does not cool down from them fairly promptly when work ceases.  Personally, when I temp panting horses, I want to see them get down to 102 or under before going back out on course.  A horse at 105 is definitely ringing the alarm, and yes, at 107 or over, one must begin to take drastic action to prevent damage.  The mare at Norco was over 108, and was already beginning convulsions.  However, thanks to prompt and drastic action, her temperature was brought down before any long-term damage occurred.  One thing that was not pointed out in earlier posts (or if it was, I missed it) was that this mare quit sweating on the last leg of the ride, which is why she spiked such a temp.  This condition, called anhydrosis, is VERY serious under hot conditions, even in a horse that is not working.

Heidi