BC withheld

I am quite impressed to hear that the BC judges at Norco
decided to withhold the award.  Not to take it away from
any of the top 13 finishers who I'm sure worked very hard
to finish "fit to continue" under unusual (for them) circumstances,
but to remind us all that BC is an award to recognize those
who excel.  BC has been withheld a couple times from Tevis
finishers as well.

If I recall, the BC judging is loosely based upon the idea that if
you were caught in an "infidel" act and being pursued by the
offended spouse, upon which of the available horses would you
chose to make your escape?

In dog shows, the judge can choose to withhold the first place
ribbon in any class of animals that does not present one who
deserves to go on and be considered for championship points.
Some shows, such as the Golden Gate Kennel Club benched show,
require a first place on the dogs record to be eligible for entry.
(Westminister requires that the entered dogs be pointed).  There
are some more obscure classes, such as "American Bred" where
it might be possible to be the only entered dog, thus ensuring that
blue ribbon.  Except that hopefully, if pet quality dog(s) were entered
in such a class with the hopes that the first place may go on the
books, the judge would option to withhold the placing and stand
on their belief that the dog is not of sufficient quality... Today.

Same idea in my book.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
AERC# 14992