Re: RC: horse temp

guest@endurance.net writes:

Has anyone taken their horses temp after a conditioning ride and /or
endurance ride?  What are some of the figures you're seeing?  I've had
mine up to 103 after a medium (climbing a mountain) conditioning day (not
humid @80 degrees)   Does anyone have any norms or resources for norms?

Wow!  I'd be worried about 103 (but I could be wrong here).  One time, Harca
got up to 101 on a really hot ride and it freaked me out.  His normal temp is
right around 99.  After our wreck at Tevis this year when Harca got to spend
some quality time at UC Davis, he spiked a 103 fever due to an antibiotic
reaction.  It was ugly and he was totally miserable.  The vet said that much
higher and you start worrying about founder in a horse (aaaaaack!).    I
guess the best thing to do is know what is normal for your horse under
different circumstances and judge accordingly.

Sylvia