Re: RC: Fit to Continue (Was: Norco Ride)

In a message dated Wed, 5 Sep 2001  2:26:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, guest@endurance.net writes:

> K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net
> I am going to assume that the head vet is aware of this rule,
> and rather felt that the criteria necessary for winning a
> Best Condition award requires that a horse be in much better
> condition than just "fit to continue."  If so, I quite agree.

That is a pretty accurate picture of what happened.  (And, in fact, at least one and maybe more of the "first 10 across the line" WAS DQ'ed.)  Knowing what these horses looked like at VC3 (continuable, but not much gas left in the tanks), I was proud of Dr. Beasom for making the decision he did, and not surprised at what he saw--completion material (fit to continue), but not much more.

Heidi