Barefoot Endurance

Karen Standefer hrschk@yahoo.com
I compiled a partial listing of horses in Texas who are competing
barefoot.  I say partial because I only used the 50-100 mile distances and
I only compiled stats on the horses with the prefix DJB because I know
they're barefoot (there are others who are not DJB horses).  On one horse,
for one ride EZ boots were used for 20 miles.  Otherwise, these horses
were completely barefoot.  The percentages are not correct, they're more
like 82% completion rate.  Also, one must realize that these horses are
not at their full potential by any means  They've been barefoot less than
one year.  I got this info from the AERC website.  There have since been
many more completions.

> Heart of Texas (50)
>    5 completed 1 pull
> Frigid Digit (50)
>    5 complete  0 pulls
> Frigid Digit (100)
>    2 completed 0 pulls (one horse used EZ boots 20 miles)
> Montell Cliff Hanger (50)
>    1 completed 3 pulls
> Blue Bonnet Classic (100)    (ALL 100 MILES TOTALLY BAREFOOT)
>    2 completed  1 pull
> Blue Bonnet Classic (50)
>    5 completed  0 pulls
> Old Glory I (50) multiday
>    5 completed  1 pull (who completed the following day)
>    Barefoot DJB horse was first place on this ride
> Old Glory II (50) multiday
>    5 completed  2 pulls
> Old Glory III (50)
>    4 completed  1 pull
>    Barefoot DJB horse was first place this day
> Road Warrier (50)
>    2 completed  1 pull
> Unicorn Hunt (50)
>    11 completed  1 pull
>    Barefoot DJB horse was first and barefoot DJB horse was BC
>
> So, that’s 47 50 milers and 10 pulls (79% completion rate) and 4 100
milers and 1 pull (75% completion rate)

Karen Standefer
Roy and Tory (both barefoot for the rest of their lives)