From: Sue Brown [mailto:sbrown@wamedes.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2001 12:46 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Cc: Rides2far@juno.com
Subject: RC: Re: FEI seminars atPAC from Angie

Angie said:
>The first sounded like an exercise class,
>but as it turned out was more of a centered riding clinic.  I
>often wonder if my weight is evenly destributed and he had the
>coolest way to find out.  It was a flat piece of plywood about
>2 feet x 2 feet with a small strip of wood attached to the bottom
>front to back making it a bit of a teeter totter.  We had to
>stand holding another riders hands as reins and try to balance on
>it.  It was amazing how hard it was, but it could be done if you
>kept your eyes up and knees bent.

I'd love to know more about this set-up since it sounds like a cool
teaching tool.  Was there a saddle on the board...stirrups?  I use
two-point frequently to teach balance in the heels with stirrups (since
this is the most frequently used position on training rides in our lumpy,
dippy hillsides <g>) and can see a good use for something like this.

Who was the instructor?  Did they teach Sally Swift's techniques?  I've had
the awesome opportunity to attend lectures and demos given by her and her
assistant on three different occasions -- and someday (when my current
schedule settles down a bit) plan on getting my Centered Riding Instructor
certification.  Between her books, videos, and lectures, I've learned a
tremendous amount that has been probably some of the most useful
information I've had for riding.  If anyone's interested in learning
centered riding stuff, find a copy of the book or video...or attend a local
clinic by one of the certified instructors.

I have both the tapes and the books but I find (personally) that I learn
better with videos and have watched Sally's tapes about 6 or 7 times over
the years.  Most of books and videos are available for students and
boarders to check out -- and the Centered Riding ones have had the most
attention.

>The same instructor said we
>could sign up for individual riding evaluations.  We were craz
>enough to ask "How much?"  He smiled and said, "USET is covering
>it". Whew!  It was great. He came out to where we were camping and
>filmed us with a digital camera. Afterwards we put up our horses
>and he showed it frame by frame and gave us the kindest critiquing
>you could imagine.  We were so ready to be butchered, but he managed
>to praise our good qualities and very gently give advice. What a great
>opportunity.

This is another great teaching technique...and it sounds as if this person
has the approach that wants to make you beg for further criticism so that
you can better your riding technique. <g>  I've had a couple of instructors
like that and I would (guiltlessly) pick their brains au nauseam.  I'm sure
they were happy when the next, more silent, rider would start their lesson.
;-)

>The other seminar was Jane Savoy, who rides dressage and has been
>on an Olympic squad.  Was she stuck up? Heck no!  Her job was to
>be an inspirational speaker and she was good at it.  She seemed
>to know just what we were all thinking..."I'm the only one in this
>crowd who isn't good enough to be here".  She was very funny and
>down to earth, telling how she set her goal to be in the Olympics
>when she had no money..and NO HORSE.  She emphasized to us to
>enjoy the moment, and realize that just BEING there was a great
>accomplishment no matter how things turned out. I really wished
>more of our riders could have heard her.  I think I'll get her
>book "That Winning Way" or something like that.

I've also attended Jane's lectures and had an opportunity to visit with her
briefly at the ARICP conventions -- and can honestly say that this lady is
one of the most awesome humans I've ever run across.  She is *not* a DQ
(using the negative slang connotation) and yet is one of the top riders in
her discipline.  She is an incredibly gifted motivational speaker (everyone
should go hear her if given the chance) but also has books and videos out
that are worth looking at.  Her books, _Cross Training Your Horse_ Vol. I
and II, are excellent and should be a permanent part of every endurance
rider's library.  She has a very common sense approach to teaching
"dressage" to horses in all disciplines.  And go see her if she's doing a
clinic in your area...the charismatic energy this classy lady has is
phenomenal!

Okay...I have to quit now.  I think I've used up all of the high end
complimentary adjectives -- any more might get a bit nauseating!! <g>

Sue

Sue Brown
Tyee Farm
ARICP Certified Riding Instructor