Bitless Bridles

Kameron,
I used a similar version (there are about 4-5 different manufacturers of
crosspull bridles out there) once and was really impressed with how my mare
responded.  At the time I was starting up a business to make beta biothane
tack and decided to make one with some improvements that I needed for
myself.  I had a great demand for my version and have since improved it even
more.

Most horses respond immediately to the crosspull action.  It's like neck
reining on their cheek and they just move away from the pressure - even
horses that know nothing about neck reining.  There is also pressure on the
poll and noseband when both reins are used.  There are some horses that
don't like the pressure around the jaw, but that seems to be about 1 in 100
horses or so.

Dr. Cook recommends using the bridle with a very tight noseband (he says his
will turn around the nose) and a running martingale.  I have found neither
to be necessary.  My noseband is balanced and so I have no problem leaving
it loose enough for the horse to eat (kind of a necessity in this sport!).
I probably leave mine looser than most - it's loose enough that I don't have
to change the buckle when putting it on or taking it off the horse.  It can
be used with a martingale if needed, but it's certainly not required to
spend the additional money if the horse doesn't need it.

The advantages of my bridle are that there is no extra hardware clinking and
swinging around below the horse's head, the poll strap cannot slip crookedly
around the head, it can easily be used as a full use halter, and can be used
in a multitude of configurations.

There are 3 ways to set it up with a bit, for various levels of control.
Two of those are a combination bit and crosspull action.  It can of course
be set up as a standard crosspull, and also a very mild sidepull.  The reins
are included (and you'll never use another kind of reins if you've never
used beta biothane reins before) and shipping is always free.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I think in general there are a lot
of really good bitless options out there and many horses are just so happy
this way, they respond even better.  I also recommend that anyone try the
beta biothane versions of any of the bridles/reins out there - it's a really
great material.  Even a horse that pulls all day will not give you blisters
with no gloves - and this from a horse that gave me blisters through gloves
with rope reins!

Marlene

Marlene Moss
Moss Rock Endurance Adventures
www.mossrockendurance.com
Home of the Freedom Bridle - the most versatile bridle in the world!