FEI seminars atPAC from Angie

Angie McGhee Rides2far@juno.com
Just read a post referring to FEI sponsored seminars at the PAC.
Unless I am mistaken, the speakers were brought in by USET.  I got
to attend two and they were wonderful.  They could have benefited
riders at any level.

The first sounded like an exercise class,
but as it turned out was more of a centered riding clinic.  I
often wonder if my weight is evenly destributed and he had the
coolest way to find out.  It was a flat piece of plywood about
2 feet x 2 feet with a small strip of wood attached to the bottom
 front to back making it a bit of a teeter totter.  We had to
stand holding another riders hands as reins and try to balance on
it.  It was amazing how hard it was, but it could be done if you
kept your eyes up and knees bent.

The same instructor said we
could sign up for individual riding evaluations.  We were craz
enough to ask "How much?"  He smiled and said, "USET is covering
it". Whew!  It was great. He came out to where we were camping and
filmed us with a digital camera. Afterwards we put up our horses
and he showed it frame by frame and gave us the kindest critiquing
you could imagine.  We were so ready to be butchered, but he managed
to praise our good qualities and very gently give advice. What a great
opportunity.

The other seminar was Jane Savoy, who rides dressage and has been
on an Olympic squad.  Was she stuck up? Heck no!  Her job was to
be an inspirational speaker and she was good at it.  She seemed
to know just what we were all thinking..."I'm the only one in this
crowd who isn't good enough to be here".  She was very funny and
down to earth, telling how she set her goal to be in the Olympics
when she had no money..and NO HORSE.  She emphasized to us to
enjoy the moment, and realize that just BEING there was a great
accomplishment no matter how things turned out. I really wished
more of our riders could have heard her.  I think I'll get her
book "That Winning Way" or something like that.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there was nothing upity or
conspiratorial about the whole thing...just a great opportunity
for us to learn.

Angie