Re: Those Damn Generators

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe Howard was on vacation and not at
an endurance race.
If I misread Howard's original post, I apologize; but a vacation and an
endurance race are two different things.

Howard, it takes a little investigating, but the next time you want to go
on a quiet vacation camping with your horse look for a campground that is
for tent campers only.  Yes, they're out there.  You just have to look
for them.

I've been a tent camper all my life.  Hard core, too.  We're talking four
season, expedition Kelty Windfoil tent and goose down sleeping bags to a
minus 15 degrees.  Yup, all year round.  We always search out non-RV
campgrounds because of the generators.  If we can't find a campground
totally RV free, we look for one that has a few walk in camp spots.  We
have to park the car a little ways away, but that ensures us plenty of
distance from those damn generators.

Now, at an endurance race I have to admit that while it would be nice to
be able to separate the non-generator campers from the generator campers,
I don't think it would be feasible.  How much room do you set aside for
each, and what if there isn't enough for one side or the other?  See my
drift.  It has been my experience that ridecamp begins to settle down
very quickly right around 9 PM.  Unless the generator has to be kept
running for medical purposes, I think a 9 PM cut-off time for generator
usage would not be out of line.  I also don't know of too many people
that are still in bed beginning about 5 AM race day.  So, maybe for those
people that simply cannot start the day without a hot shower and a blow
dry they could do all their chores before they get in the shower and
stave off the generator until after 5 AM.

Or ... we could just use the generators for target practice with 12 gauge
shotguns.

Tori