Re: RC: Re: Red

In a message dated Wed, 29 Aug 2001  6:49:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Tara Wheeler <harpy@io.com> writes:

>   Most Arab race-horses are considered washed out at four.

Oh, really?  Most of my friends who participate in Arabian racing don't even START their horses til they are four--and unlike other breeds, they CAN'T start them until three...  Would agree with this statement, though, for the TB industry (agree that people "think" the horses are washed out, that is--not that they "are" washed out necessarily...)

>   Here in Texas you get a lot of the 'why the hell would I want an Arab' mentality, so most of them go to the killers if they're washed up at the track.

I agree wholeheartedly with the first part of your statement--far too many of the general public have no clue what great horses Arabs are.  As to the second part, this accounts for a lot of the TB's that go to slaughter, but Arab racing is still such a tiny segment of the breed and of the racing industry that it isn't even a drop in the bucket among the Arabs that go to slaughter.  Most of the Arabs that are in the kill pens aren't even broke to ride, let alone ever made it to the track.

Heidi