Re: RC: What about this?

Personally, the best endurance horse is the one that
does what you want, in the way that you want, at the
speed that you want, and can stay sound.

I rode a Peruvian Paso and a Paso Fino once.  I
happened to be drinking a soda at the time.  I put
both these guys through their paces while drinking my
soda...never spilled a drop or choked.

If you found a smooth riding horse that fit your bill,
buy him!  My Arab is the most uncomfortable horse I
know; I would trade him for nothing!  However, my
up-coming endurance horse is a LOT smoother...thank
goodness!

Another thought:  many folks foxhunt standardbreds.
My friend has a mare that can cover the ground at a
trot and canter and doesn't move the rider around much
either.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to go any
faster.  She also jumps like a dream.  Here's the
important part:  she stays sound and recovers like
nobody's business.  I do CRIs on the hunt horses just
to make a point of conditioning with my non-endurance
friends.  This mare covered 4 miles and 25 jumps in 14
minutes last April.  She came in at 100 bpm and
dropped to 60 bpm within 3 minutes.  Rachael does post
on her so this may be wrong for you.  However, the
mare is comfortable to ride.

Just a thought and my 2 cents.

=====
Susan Young Casey
Glenndale Grace Farm
Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!"         - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)