RE: "Red" (from Barb Peck).

In a message dated Mon, 27 Aug 2001  4:58:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Corbelletta, Antonio" <Antonio_Corbelletta@affymetrix.com> writes:

> Sadly I think we are losing more athletic mares then
> geldings/stallions since breeders don't breed mares that won't produce big
> $$$
> show quality offspring.
> The breeders are breeding for what makes money.

That is the trend in the show world, but many preservation circles of breeders (including CMK breeders such as the ones who produced Benjih and BRR Aurber Lights) are dedicated to preserving classic athletic mare lines as well as sire lines.  I guess it is just one of those things that rubs me the wrong way, but the sort of people you describe aren't what I call "breeders"--they are "producers" and "marketers" who try to make babies to make money.  Real breeders are the folks who commit to long-term programs and try to make a positive impact on the breed, hopefully making enough to pay the bills in the process.  And a great many of the CMK breeders (as well as those of some other lines) ARE active in areas such as sport horse, dressage, eventing, racing, cutting, reining, etc. as well as endurance.  I agree--these are the sorts of places to exhibit the athletes, rather than in the modern show ring.

Heidi