Re: RC: Breeding Athletic Horses

There is also the notion that if one breeds 75 foals a year, one is BOUND to
get a good one. Probably true, but how irresponsible! Rather, the
conscienscious breeder breeds ONLY those horses who they have spent time
researching, and then only when there is some kind of market for them. The
breeding until the stallion drops (no pun intended) in the interest that
perchance a great one will come along is just plain ghastly to me. Of course
they GET one here and there and who pays the price?

Breed for need and ride with pride is what I tell my students - because they
need to be thoughtful and responsible in both riding and procreation and
every other aspect of horse relationships. Breed what you need and ride with
a sense of pride in producing a horse not only lovely but useful and strong.