Eating Like a Horse!

My mare has never been good about drinking and eating at rides. It has
actually gotten worse with time, not better. After a colic episode this
spring, the vet who treated her suggested that the electrolytes may actually
put her off her feed, causing an acidic stomach or worse, that she may have
ulcers. From articles I had read  it began to look like the electrolytes did
bother her. I couldn't always wait till she ate to give electrolytes. One
rider suggested to me to mix her electrolytes with Maalox. Seemed like a
good idea. Two other MD riders suggested changing to Vita-Flex Acculytes.
They were very happy with their horses improved eating after switching.
Acculytes include microbials. Then I came across a new product from
Absorbine called Pro CMC which is a buffered calcium carbonate and magnesium
oxide product that helps coat the stomach lining and protect it from stomach
acid. I decided to make a change.

I started a couple weeks back mixing the Acculytes with the Pro CMC which is
a liquid. The Acculytes dissolve extremely easily in the CMC and don't
thicken up over night. The mix is pretty palatable and I must say it doesn't
burn my sensitive acidic stomach. Yes, I tried it. I used it for training
rides and finally this past weekend I used it during a tough 40 mile CTR.I
was actually able to syringe it into her mouth from the saddle with no fuse
or struggle.  River ate everything within reach, before the ride, during the
ride, after the ride. If she could reach it, she ate it. I've never seen her
eat so well in three years of competing her.  She could have drank more but
she was filling up on soupy feed, apples and wet grass besides hay. A little
dehydration at the end of ride but much improved. I think I may be onto
something here! Thank you Doris, Dottie and Roger for your ideas.

Bonnie Snodgrass