Re: RC: Percentage of riders not owners

In a message dated Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:03:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Laura Hayes" <mark@madbbs.com> writes:

> We were talking about the changes in the sport, but specifically that   there were many riders not on their own horses.

It is still only an occasional thing at most AERC rides to see a situation like Heather's where the regular rider is not the owner or a member of the owner's family, although I can think of a few other "teams" like this.  However, it is not unusual to have non-owners riding at events such as the PAC, as a great many riders from off continent will lease horses to avoid the hassle and expense of trying to bring horses in from other countries.  Sometimes the veterinary regulations regarding import and export make it almost impossible to bring in outside horses.

Heidi