Re: RC: CAIR or FLAIR

In a message dated 8/24/01 8:31:51 AM, michrowe@redwrench.com writes:

<< Has anyone who is MW or HW tried the CAIR or FLAIR panels for competitive

riding & how'd they work?  The new Bates/Wintec saddles with the CAIR panels

and the adjustable gullets look interesting...  Has anyone seen or ridden

one? >>

I would be very cautious about investing money into one of these saddles.  I
am a middleweight rider.  I borrowed an Icelandic saddle fitted with air
panels before the XP.  It was the same model, an Astund Special, I have used
for several thousand miles but had the air panels.  On short rides of two
hours or less, it seemed to fit very well and give the horses a nice freedom
of movement.  Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to test it on
longer rides.  Needing a extra saddle, I went ahead and bought it and planned
to use as my main saddle on the XP.

I used it on each horse during our opening days in Kansas on top of a Toklat
Woolback pad.  Each horse's back was terribly scalded by heat build-up.  It
may have been the weather.  Temperatures were near 100 degrees, humidity was
near 100 percent and it rained hard off and on.  It would be hard to imagine
worse conditions underneath a saddle.  Still, once I changed back to my old
saddles of the same model without the air panels,  we had no more back
problems for the rest of the ride.  That one day of scalding left scabbing I
had to pay close attention to for weeks.

I did not use the air panel saddle again because I couldn't take the chance
given the long days ahead of us.  I still wonder if I could have started
using Skjoldur for more miles earlier in the ride if I hadn't used that
saddle on him that one day in Kansas.  I will probably try the saddle again
in a one day ride sometime in the next few months when the temperatures are
lower to see what happens.

Try to borrow one for some long hard days before buying.  I am curious to
hear if other people have experienced problems with heat build-up.   I think
the concept of air panels is great otherwise.

John Parke
Solvang CA