Psyllium-Research study

Naomi Preston mustanglady@rsbc.com
My vet has advised that many vets are disputing the research study
mentioned due to the methodology.  Horses were artificially given sand in
their guts -- surgically.  They dispute the findings from this study
because the horses were not only full of sand, they were recovering from
major surgery when the research was conducted.  Many vets have seen
clinical evidence of psyillium significantly reducing sand in a horse's
system.  I use it for 7-10 days every month or six weeks and it has been
effective using it this way.  Also, some horses are more prone to
ingesting sand than others.  But it's hard to know which ones!  You can
determine if your horse has sand in his system by taking a few fresh road
apples and dissolving them in water.  Then pour off the water and see how
much sand is left.  If there's more than a trace, your horse may need
psyillium (consult your vet).